The Read More Without Refresh WordPress Plugin by George Gkouvousis is a free plugin that hides text passages with a shortcode. This simple plugin is great for hiding lengthy articles into a single, minimalist ‘tap-to-reveal’ button. While the plugin is easy to use, the lack of a settings panel to customise the button may render the plugin useless for many. With some tweaks to the plugin taught in this tutorial, the Read More Without Refresh WordPress Plugin will be a powerful add-on for your content-based site. Let’s take a look!
Read More Without Refresh WordPress Plugin Features
- Easy Installation
- Install the Plugin on WordPress and it will be ready for use without having to fiddle with any settings
- Supports shortcodes and easy to use
- Place this [ read more=”Read more” less=”Read less” ] Your long text [ /read ] (Remove spacing between square brackets.)
- Clean design
- Customisable Text and with CSS
- Ability to hide any portion of the passage, rather than strictly hiding the rest of the article.
- Shortcode Button is not added to the text editing panel for ease of use
- Shortcodes have to be physically typed or pasted into the document.
- Does not have a settings panel to customise the colour of the button
- Easy-to-miss button due to minimal design
Why use a ‘Read More’ Button
For a user who has committed himself/herself to read a particular article, ‘Read More’ buttons might seem redundant and sometimes, annoying. This seems like a case of poor user-experience since a reader will have to click on an additional button to continue reading after indicating clearly his/her intention to read the article initially.
Latest posts by Hou Teng (see all)
- SEO Basics: Disavow Links with Google’s Link Disavow Tool - October 12, 2017
- Preparing Social Media Images with Canva - September 25, 2017
- How to Optimise Images for Search Engine Optimisation - September 25, 2017